4.07.2014

Gerascophobia

Gerascophobia is an abnormal or persistent fear of growing old or ageing. Gerascophobia is a clinical phobia generally classified under specific phobias, fears of a single specific panic trigger.

Symptoms include the fear of the future and the fear of needing to rely on others to do daily functions. Many also fear they will not play an active role in society when they get older.
(Thank you Wikipedia for summarizing this for me..)

I can just see the eye rolls coming through my screen now.

BUT Yes, I have a fear of getting old. Usually this always spikes around my birthday (Wednesday to be exact)...  Let me just say that I HATE celebrating my birthday. One, because of the getting old thing.... and Two I don't like all the attention on myself.

Fear of growing old is a real thing you guys! It's irrational and there's nothing I can do about it... But the future is scary! I always joke with D that I'm having a quarter or fifth of life crisis. He just rolls his eyes along with the rest of the world when I tell them my fear!
People will probably think, "If you hate being the center of attention, then why did you say on your blog that your birthday is coming up?!" Chillllllll... I write what I want and I can write about my fears and hatred for MY birthday..

I love giving gifts, but always feel awkward receiving gifts. I would rather celebrate everyone else's birthday but mine. (unless you give me a million dollars... then I would probably celebrate my birthday... anyone? No?)

I'm trying to love celebrating my birthday and I need help!

For those of you with this fear.... HOW DO YOU GET OVER IT??

No comments:

Post a Comment