3.17.2015

Money and Museums!

WAAAAYYYY back at the beginning of February, D and I took a day to see some more DC sites! 

You guys get to see very great quality Iphone photos today! I didn't dare bring my good camera (cameras and photo taking weren't allowed anyways) because we were touring the Bureau of Engraving and Printing! AKA THE REAL MONEY MAKERS! 
 The tour is free and a lot shorter then I thought it was going to be. Probably wise so that people don't go and make counterfeit! They take you through some of the process and you can see through the windows and watch the workers do their thing. I had fun waving at them, you could tell they get bored.

But y'all, the process is SO TEDIOUS! I learned A LOT! Like did you know that money really isn't made of paper?! Yeah, me either. It's FABRIC, and other things combined, but mostly fabric! I couldn't get over that. So money literally, DOES NOT grow on trees people! 
 After, we went to the Washington Monument and rode to the top to enjoy the view. D hadn't done it before so it was a must! Sadly, it went undocumented, but you can see the view here, when I went with my mom and sister in November. Oh, and it was also FREEZING!!! The wind chill + humidity + winter= FROZEN! Being from Alaska, my body temp is always like a furnace, and saying that it was cold... means something! BRRRR!

We hopped back onto the metro and went to the Postal Museum. Seriously, the architecture back East is unbelievable!
It used to be an actual post office and they still have the old mail boxes. Aren't they so cool?!
 They had a ton of old stamps to look at in the museum. Fun Fact: D used to collect stamps! I learn something new about him all the time! Going on 5 years of being together and you can still learn something new about eachother. =) Marriage is fun you guys!

Anyways, they had these stamps at the table you could go through and pick them out. I totally thought they were fake and just for little kids to entertain them, but D proved me wrong! I couldn't believe they were giving free stamps away. I acquired a couple from WW2 and so forth. Pretty cool! 
 They had a whole area of old postal transportation. We didn't stay too long but it would be really fun for kids! There was a lot of hands on activities and what not.
 I'm giving you guys lots of fun facts today! Did you know the postal service has a mascot? Yep, it's this dog named Owney. And yes, this is the real dog! Taxidermied and all!! I don't remember the history but it was creepy. 
 Again, the architecture... so dang cool! I'll never get over it.

No comments:

Post a Comment