1.27.2014

Movie Monday

If anyone knows me, they know I love going to the movies! So I'm going to start a Movie Monday review series. Now it may not be every Monday, but it may just be here and there, or whenever I think movie is super great or super horrible! My thoughts are always kind of scattered, but welcome to my A.D.D kind of thinking. Also, keep in mind that I'm not an English major so my punctuation and all of that may be off.



Go see Saving Mr. banks if you haven't! I really enjoyed this movie. It wasn't AT ALL what I was expecting from a Disney movie. I was expecting a happy story when in reality, it's really not. This docudrama was very intriguing and has a lot of adult themes for a Disney film. If you haven't seen it, I would stop reading because I may give some things away

I've always liked movies that are based on true events (besides horror movies.. count me out on those!). But holy crap, this movie was really heartbreaking! For those of you who haven't seen it, here is a TINY synopsis of the film, " Author P.L. Travers reflects on her childhood after reluctantly meeting with Walt Disney, who seeks to adapt her Mary Poppins books for the big screen." And reflect she did! Her upbringing was really sad. Throughout the movie it goes back and forth from her childhood to her present time. Now I realize that some stuff isn't 100% accurate (trust me, I fact checked when I got home.) but it was really well done. There are many things in her book Mary Poppins she wrote about people in her life as a child. Mr. Banks is a key character here, obviously. Mr. Banks was based on Travers' father and how she tries to save his character from coming across as a mean and arrogant person in the movie. This was almost an over reaction because she couldn't save her father from dying in real life. Whenever Travers would get upset about how Disney wanted to play out this particular character, let alone the whole movie, she would always revert back to a childlike state. Including playing in the dirt and remembering the good and fun times she had with her dad.

This really got me thinking about the human mind. When you really think about it, everyone reverts back to a time when it seemed to be the happiest time in their lives. Especially during a hardship in their lives. I know I do for sure! Think about Walt Disney. It is mentioned in the movie that he started working at around age 8 for his dad and had to grow up pretty fast. He never got to experience childhood, hence his childlike mind with all the cartoons! I'm not complaining about it, I love them, it just makes sense why he was so into the children's books and all that! Michael Jackson comes to mind too. Yes, he was a weirdo with great music, but he never got to be a kid! Starting with The Jackson 5 at such a young age and going right into a music career made him grow up to fast. 

I then start to think of childhood celebrities and how sad of a life they really have. I realize no all end up crazy, but the majority do. Lindsay Lohan and Amanda Bynes anyone? They grow up way to fast and at some point they just burst! It is such a sad thing to see happen and I really feel bad for them. 

This movie is definitely a tear and thought jerker! So be prepared! It makes you really appreciate what and who you have in your life.

2 comments: