10.08.2013

My Favorites from General Conference

So I'm not the best at watching General Conference. I actually missed all the sessions this year, but it's okay because I get really distracted easily when watching them that I tend to daydream.. So reading the talks later, I can actually get more out of them because I can go at my own pace.

Here are some of my favorite talks from this conference:

*Elder Dieter F. Uchtdorf's talk "Come, Join with Us"

This talk hit home for me. I struggle going to church sometimes. I don't like fake people, or people who come off as super judgmental (everyone is judgmental, but some can come off SUPER judgey). This talk taught me to forget everyone else and to go to church for me and the Lord, and not for the social aspect of it.

*Elder Boyd K. Packer's talk  "The Key to Spiritual Protection"

I just LOVE Elder Packer. He is always so frank and I love people like that. This talk is so amazing. I'm not one to understand the scriptures super well. I am so blessed to have a husband that can help me better understand the gospel doctrines and the teachings of the church. I will teach our kids the doctrines of the church even in these times when it may not be the most "hip" or "cool" thing to do.

*Elder D. Todd Christofferson's talk "The Moral Force of Women"

This talk is by far my FAVORITE. This talks about the important role of women and motherhood. In today's society it is almost looked down upon to be a stay at home mom and that makes me so sad! Here is a quote from the talk that hits home for me:
"A pernicious philosophy that undermines women’s moral influence is the devaluation of marriage and of motherhood and homemaking as a career. Some view homemaking with outright contempt, arguing it demeans women and that the relentless demands of raising children are a form of exploitation.8 They ridicule what they call “the mommy track” as a career. This is not fair or right. We do not diminish the value of what women or men achieve in any worthy endeavor or career—we all benefit from those achievements—but we still recognize there is not a higher good than motherhood and fatherhood in marriage. There is no superior career, and no amount of money, authority, or public acclaim can exceed the ultimate rewards of family. Whatever else a woman may accomplish, her moral influence is no more optimally employed than here." 
All I have ever wanted was to be a stay at home mom and this talk makes me even more excited for my future as a mother. I know it is my calling from the Lord.

*Elder Jeffrey R. Holland's talk "Like a Broken Vessel"

Jeffrey R. Holland. Enough said. Okay seriously, this talk is another great one. A good reminder to turn to the Lord when I am feeling down about myself or whatever my situations may be.

*Elder Dallin H. Oak's talk "No Other Gods"

This talk is one that I really needed to read. Lately I have been feeling really sad about the way our country has been going. This talk really made me feel better. I need to be better on focusing on God's commandments and to know that every thing will be alright as long as I follow the Lord. This talk also had good quotes about the importance of marriage which was really refreshing to read. =)





5 comments: