9.30.2014

Virginia Beach

Oh Virginia Beach! I miss you!

A few weeks ago (gosh that feels like a year ago!!) D and I decided to make a trip down there before the weather started to "cool" off! As Rookies, we decided to leave Friday around 4 pm. BAD IDEA! Traffic was awful because everyone and their mom and dog were headed South too it seemed. Luckily, we were stopping by to see a friend on the way down and her mom called and gave us an alternate route to take which saved us about an hour! I couldn't believe the traffic though... 

Sadly we were only able to visit with my friend Aylia for about an hour because we got in way later then expected! I haven't seen her in about 5 years! I love that girl and her cute little baby girl! It was so fun to catch up for a bit.
We got settled in the hotel and the next morning we set out for the day! We first at at Village Inn (my favorite diner ever!)  and headed to the beach! It was scorching but so fun. Dallan and I would totally be beach bums if we lived close to a beach. The water wasn't warm like I was expecting which was a GOOD thing! You actually felt refreshed in the water. There was a family of dolphins that would swim back and forth too! At one point we were probably only 30 feet away from them!!

This picture cracks me up... I put sun screen on multiple times throughout the day but can you guess where I forgot to apply?! HAHA! It actually didn't hurt and was 80% gone the next morning (Thank you Lord for my olive skin tone). 
Sunday we headed up to Jamestown! Looking back at these photos makes me so giddy! Jamestown, if you guys don't know about it, is where the first settlers landed coming from England! (Pocahontas anyone?!) Anyways, it was a dream come true because if you know me, you know that I LOVED Pocahontas growing up! It still love that movie, but as a little girl I had Pocahontas everything! 

Jamestown has a "Mock" area of what Jamestown would have looked like when they first settled. It was cool actually seeing how things would've been set up!  
D is such a trooper with me! I make him do all kinds of silly stuff that he normally wouldn't! But come on! Who wouldn't want to try on the John Smith armor?!
This guy did a demonstration with a Musket! SO FLIPPING AWESOME! I wanted to try it so bad. The gun is nearly as tall as me!! Craziness.
A Mock of what the boats would've looked like!
"Can you paint with all the colors of the winddddd" haha!
A mile down the road was the ACTUAL location of Jamestown! It was SO surreal! Gave me goosebumps! Note: those wood fences are NOT original, BUT they have found the original holes, and made the fences above those holes. So it's really accurate! 
Where I'm standing is the original wall of the Church made in the 1600's that was located in James Fort! It was insane!
Pocahontas statue. D is REALLY into family history and a few months ago he found out that I am actually a descendant of Pocahontas! HOW AMAZING?! Dreams really do come true! haha! But in all honesty, being in a place where your ancestors used to roam and live makes it so much more special! I'm thankful D is into family history. I would've never known about this! 
Not my best work, but it's always fun to go back and watch =)

No comments:

Post a Comment